- Bruce Springsteen will celebrate the 40th anniversary of his groundbreaking home recorded studio set Nebraska with a new vinyl reissue. The album is the is being reissued as VMP Essentials Record of the Month for October 2022.
- The new edition is half-speed mastered by Barry Grint at Alchemy Mastering at AIR and pressed on exclusive Black Smoke vinyl, with an art print by Justin A. McHugh. Noted author Peter Ames Carlin has supplied the package's “listening notes.” For more information, log on to: https://bit.ly/3Sa02Us
- Co-founding Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason says that he would absolutely be up for reuniting the band to help a worthy cause, telling Ultimate Classic Rock: “I think we're past the point of even considering the idea of Pink Floyd doing something, to make another album. I think it would be great if it was possible to become a force for good. I mean, I know that sounds a bit trite, but a bit like Live 8. I thought Live 8 was terrific.”
- He went on to say, “If there was someone who was capable of assembling bands, I'd love to be part of something. I'd rather it wasn't fighting Russia. I'd rather it was something a little more sort of humane, I suppose, the world peace or whatever it is — to use music for good or social change in the right way.” (Ultimate Classic Rock)
- Coming on October 21st is the first in a series of previously unreleased archival releases from late-Who bassist John Entwistle. The 13-song Rarities Oxhumed — Volume One, includes such notable tracks as “Bogey Man” featuring Keith Moon, Entwistle's demo for “Where You Going Now” — which he had pitched to the Who — along with a live take of his Who Are You standout, “A Trick Of The Light.” (Press release)
- Steely Dan's vinyl reissue series will kick off on November 4th with the release of 1972's Can't Buy A Thrill. The group's debut set included their breakthrough hits, “Do It Again,” “Reelin' In The Years,” and “Dirty Work.”
- According to the official announcement: “The LP's in the series, most of which haven't been widely available since their original release, will be available on 33 1/3 RPM 180-gram black vinyl and as a limited-edition premium 45 RPM version on Ultra High-Quality Vinyl (UHQR) from Analogue Productions, the audiophile in-house reissue label of Acoustic Sounds. Analogue Productions will also release this series of titles on Super Audio CD (SACD).”
- All albums are being remastered by Bernie Grundman from the original analog tapes “except for Aja, which will be mastered from an analog, non-EQ'd, tape copy, and Gaucho, which will be sourced from a 1980 analog tape copy originally EQ'd by Bob Ludwig.” (Press release)
- Set for release on October 28th on vinyl, single CD, and double-disc is A Neil Diamond Christmas. The new comp was personally culled by Diamond from his four holiday sets — 1992's The Christmas Album, 1994's The Christmas Album Volume II, 2009's A Cherry Cherry Christmas, and 2016's Acoustic Christmas.
- Highlights on the set include a cover of John Lennon's “Happy Xmas (War Is Over),” “The Christmas Song,” “Jingle Bell Rock,” Cat Stevens' “Morning Has Broken,” “Sleigh Ride,” “The First Noel,” “Joy To The World,” and many others. (Press release)
Quick Takes: Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, John Entwistle, Steely Dan, Neil Diamond
By Music News Sep 18, 2022 | 8:00 PM